Monday, April 14, 2008

My Sister's Keeper

The novel book that I chose is My Sister's Keeper, Written by Jodi Picoult. Pages 1-25
Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate - a life and a role that she has never questioned… until now. Like most teenagers, Anna is beginning to question who she truly is. But unlike most teenagers, she has always been defined in terms of her sister - and so Anna makes a decision that for most would be unthinkable… a decision that will tear her family apart and have perhaps fatal consequences for the sister she loves.

I chose this book is because it's subject is really novel. When Anna she decided to sue her parents for the rights to her own body, the situation of everything will be changed. I am thinking about, if I am Anna, will I fight for my rights or just save my sister? It is really difficult to choose the side. Anna said if Kate had been healthy, she'd still be floating up in Heaven or wherever, waiting to be attached to a body to spend some time on Earth. She would not be part of her family. When I read this, I felt sad about Anna. Stand on her side, I strongly disagree with her parents' decision. But stand on her parents' side, I can understand why her parents will make such a decision likes this. I believe there is nobody wants to be born by the reason likes that, also there is no parents want to see their kid dies. I think this book is not only about love, but also about the moral dilemma.

1 comment:

핑하나~ said...

What a sad story.. I strongly agree with your opinion, Lena. hehe